Sunday, February 12, 2012

And We're Back!

...Back from a loooong hitch.  And very grateful!  14 days of almost nothing to do makes time drag like you would not believe. I don't like feeling useless.  So are you ready for a Behemoth (desk) update??  Are ye???

Here is where we were when I left:


The Grand Behemoth is naked and topless (hehehe) and lacking the file cabinet that makes up half of her innards.


I had cut the top pieces.


...and assembled them using glue.  Only glue.

I tried to screw them together...but as I broke the second drill bit (inside the work piece), I thought, "Gee, why am I trying to screw these together anyway? The glue will be enough for a joint that won't get sideward pressure."  (This is a much sweeter version than the original thought.)


This was two nights before I left...Dave, putting a fine point on the sanding of the second coat of primer with 220 grit.


We elected to use Behr Premium hi-gloss enamel in the base bright white without tinting.  After two primer coats with Bull's Eye 1-2-3 all surface primer, Dave did the top coating with sponge brushes.
(No company anywhere pays us to use any of their products or say that we did or did not like it...which, incidentally, we did. Both of them).


This is where the project stood when I got home Friday.  Today, we made the next step.


Back when I repainted our black file cabinet white, I didn't really do a good job of cleaning up the residual black dust.  It got into the drawer tracks, and now they kinda groan and creak when you open and shut them.


So we fed it some Crisco.

Crisco did not pay us to do this, we just did it.


We'll let you know how it handles once we put the files back in their drawers.


We put the sub-top on the Behemoth using counter-sunk screws from the top down into the legs.  Since we'd already painted the top, we skipped the gluing step and just screwed the sucker in.  We sincerely hope to be forgiven for this oversight with the paint, but we don't think it'll matter too much.


We screwed in the drawer guides by kinda measuring, kinda guessing, and kinda holding them up to each other and eyeballing it.  We think this will work out for the best.


Having seen this view so often in SketchUp...


...it's absolutely surreal to see it in real life!  And I just realized why my drawer measurements are so far off...can you see where the reality got a little "modified"?  It's not the big wood chunk taken out of the back.

Thanks for hanging in there on this project with us!  OH! By the way, I have to say the white paint was definitely the way to go!  I'll show pictures later, but when you walk in the room (painted a pale yellow), the brilliant white of the Behemoth kinda glows softly...very pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it looks wonderful!! Can't wait to see the finished product. Good progress!

    ReplyDelete

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC